Naval ROTC at UMD College Park
The University of Maryland is pleased to offer prestigious scholarship opportunities within the new Maryland Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps Program (NROTC) Consortium for outstanding students. The NROTC Scholarship Program plays an important role in preparing students for leadership and management positions after graduation, and is open to students in all majors interested in pursuing a career with the Navy or Marine Corps.
Based on The University of Maryland's foremost priority of health and safety, the current spread of the virus and uncertainty about its trajectory, and feedback from the university community, UMD Naval ROTC continues to offer limited in-person, hybrid, and online activities.
All in-person events, including physical training and classroom instruction, are conducted with the 4Maryland safety principles. Alongside, the unit staff continues to monitor the situation in real-time and all events are conducted wholly within University guidelines to ensure our battalions safety.
The primary objectives of the NROTC program are to provide NROTC students with:
- An understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of Naval Science.
- A basic understanding of the associated professional knowledge.
- An appreciation of the requirements for national security.
- A strong sense of personal integrity, honor and individual responsibility.
- An educational background which will allow the midshipman to undertake successfully, in later periods of his or her career, advanced or continuing education in a field of application and interest to the Naval Service.